ECXC 2024!
by Tom
20/06/24 09:07 AM
Problem posting?
by Tom
11/06/24 10:33 AM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 339 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#99332 - 04/09/02 02:44 PM Re: Anyone gone head to head with Jeep?
GrayHam Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Costas:
What is it with you guys and 'chick magnets?!!' :p
Oh, don't sweat it, I'm sure it'll work for you on the guys, too . . .

#99333 - 04/09/02 03:08 PM Re: Anyone gone head to head with Jeep?
CheetaraX Offline

Loc: Ft. Collins
Quote:
I must admit, it is a nice looking truck, and I get an awful lot of looks with it, but I'm trying to hypnotize myself into feeling good about taking it into those 'hard-to-get-to' fishing spots.

I may have to spend $1000 and get the BFG All-Terrains as a minimum.
Where is your $1000 in mods coming from not including tires. I have spent less than 500 not including tires and am very impressed with the truck.

What I have

Calmini Sliders (bought used)
Calmini Idler Arm Brace (due to the larger tires)
Calmini Axle Truss (rear diff skid) WON AT GOX :p
Pathfinder Transfer case skid (still doesn't have a scratch on it but it was only like 15-20 bucks)
Custom Oil Pan skid (since removed)
2" BL
33x10.5 TSL radials on Black steel stockies

It cost me 125 bucks and a weekend to get 33's to fit with no rubbing. Try doing that with a Cheerokee.

ALAN

#99334 - 04/09/02 03:12 PM Re: Anyone gone head to head with Jeep?
Costas Offline

Loc: Burnaby, B.C.
Quote:
Originally posted by xterra_canuck:
Quote:
[b]What is it with you guys and 'chick magnets?!!' :p
Oh, don't sweat it, I'm sure it'll work for you on the guys, too . . .[/b]
Now WHY ON EARTH would you say something like that?!
[Finger]

Let's not give these yankees the wrong idea about us canucks! [Freak]

Alas...much I would like to take advantage of the chick magnet...my wife would have something to say about it...unless...I...bring...one...home......(hey, now we're talking!) wink

#99335 - 04/09/02 03:14 PM Re: Anyone gone head to head with Jeep?
Costas Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by CheetaraX:
Quote:
[b]I must admit, it is a nice looking truck, and I get an awful lot of looks with it, but I'm trying to hypnotize myself into feeling good about taking it into those 'hard-to-get-to' fishing spots.

Where is your $1000 in mods coming from not including tires. I have spent less than 500 not including tires and am very impressed with the truck.

ALAN[/b]
Oh, sorry...what I meant was $1000 FOR tires (all 5)

#99336 - 04/09/02 03:18 PM Re: Anyone gone head to head with Jeep?
GrayHam Offline

Quote:
Quote:
[b]I must admit, it is a nice looking truck, and I get an awful lot of looks with it, but I'm trying to hypnotize myself into feeling good about taking it into those 'hard-to-get-to' fishing spots.

[/b]
I believe he was saying he would spend $1000 for the tires, not for mods before tires . . .

But $1000 (cdn) for BFG All-Terrains? They go for approximately $150 (us) each on TireRack.com. I guess you won't be gettin' the spare, eh? :p

#99337 - 04/09/02 03:20 PM Re: Anyone gone head to head with Jeep?
CheetaraX Offline

Loc: Ft. Collins
Trade your 5 spoke 17's for the 02 se 4 spoke 16" straight across (make sure they get 5 matched rims for your 5 rims) and you should be out the door with All-Terrains for less then $700. Just a thought.

NismoX02 is sitting on my 5 spokes now and we both came away happy.

ALAN

#99338 - 04/09/02 03:26 PM Re: Anyone gone head to head with Jeep?
Costas Offline

Quote:
Trade your 5 spoke 17's for the 02 se 4 spoke 16" straight across (make sure they get 5 matched rims for your 5 rims) and you should be out the door with All-Terrains for less then $700. Just a thought.
ALAN
Yeah, you're right...but my dealer won't do anything, so I've posted them in XOC Buy and Sell area. I'd like to get the '02 SE wheels, but I would also like to get the difference back in the cost. If I found someone who wanted to upgrade and was going to spend the money anyway, we could make a deal.

#99339 - 05/09/02 08:48 AM Re: Anyone gone head to head with Jeep?
Cygnus-X1 Offline

Loc: Alexandria, Virginia
Somewhere (I can't remember where) there was an article done on this subject, basically one of the mag editors did a "head to head" comparison of both vehicles in stock form. I can't recall all the deatils, but the general outcome was that the Cherokee did better on the rocks, and the X did better in the mud and slop. Some kind of argument was made about IFS being a tad better for getting through slop and snow, but it was more like one guy's subjective opinion than anything.

I've owned cherokees in the past and right now I'd have to say it will be long time before I own another one, due mostly to reliability problems. It's too bad DC makes such a great off-roader that has such spotty reliability. And I agree with the "feels like an amusement park ride" comment. It's somewhat herky jerky as far as driveability goes.

#99340 - 05/09/02 09:16 AM Re: Anyone gone head to head with Jeep?
Costas Offline

Well, I'm going to do some fishing in Chilliwack today, and I'll try some of the dirt roads out there - I now a good spot to test this out. laugh

#99341 - 15/09/02 10:22 PM Re: Anyone gone head to head with Jeep?
Saline Offline

Loc: Fruita , CO
I have a 93XJ (Cherokee)168,000mi 3"lift etc.,and my X 3"lift etc. After going to Moab with the X, I missed my Jeep,the articulation and approach/departure , gearing are much more suited for the harder trails. However.... I was very impressed with the Xterras abilities off- road ,IFS or not it did great! With the swaybars disconnected it does have fairly good travel.And most of all its comfotable and doesn't ride like sh** like my XJ. All in all my XJ will out perform the X off-road.

#99342 - 15/09/02 11:06 PM Re: Anyone gone head to head with Jeep?
Costas Offline

O.k., I'm impressed. I haven't got the pics out yet, but I took the X off-road.

I got up to my bumper in mud and water, and cruised through pretty well. I was on my own, which was pretty stupid, but I had to find out what the X could do. I did, however, come to the conclusion that I need the BFG A/T's for some serious action.

Thanks to all for your feedback and support - I'm getting more comfortable with my X. smile

#99343 - 16/09/02 09:27 AM Re: Anyone gone head to head with Jeep?
wqbang Offline

Loc: Auburn, WA
Costas,

Instead of going out alone, why don't you hook up with some folks from the PNWX in BC and find out what your X can do?

#99344 - 16/09/02 12:23 PM Re: Anyone gone head to head with Jeep?
Vachon Offline

Loc: Vancouver, BC
I had a Cherokee prior to my X.

Most my off-highway driving is on forest service roads and some deactivated logging roads. I enjoy exploring the old roads and tackling some tougher stuff, but this constitutes less than a quarter of my off-road time.

There were times driving my Cherokee on the rutted, pot-holed forest service roads when I thought the bloody truck was going to fall apart, with all the banging and rattling. I find that I can drive my X on those same roads at nearly twice the speed with less than half the rattling. Two things contribute to this. One, the general quality of construction of the vehicle. Two, IFS. This is one of the few conditions off-road in which IFS is better than solid axle, however these conditions constitute the majority for me.

Leaving aside reliability (which definitely favours the X), my thoughts as to the better vehicle:

General off-highway driving: Xterra
More gnarly rock-crawling, etc.: Cherokee (altough you would want to mod it up a little...)

Once again, it all depends on what you're using it for...

"Never drink water, fish f**k in it." (W.C. Fields)

#99345 - 16/09/02 04:17 PM Re: Anyone gone head to head with Jeep?
Costas Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by wqbang:
Costas,

Instead of going out alone, why don't you hook up with some folks from the PNWX in BC and find out what your X can do?
I can't say I was even aware we had a club up here. I'll be looking more into it soon.

#99346 - 17/09/02 10:48 PM Re: Anyone gone head to head with Jeep?
Kerensky97 Offline

Loc: Utah
If you want to do some head-to-head comparisons GONE Moab is about 6 months away. smile

Xterra101.com

#99347 - 19/09/02 08:44 AM Re: Anyone gone head to head with Jeep?
willow Offline

Loc: Colorado Springs CO
Quote:
Originally posted by LastRites:
Best attribute of the Xterra is that it attracts an enormous amount of Beaver, so if you're in the hunt for pelt and have a Solar Yellow you've got it made.

#99348 - 19/09/02 08:47 AM Re: Anyone gone head to head with Jeep?
willow Offline

Quote:
Best attribute of the Xterra is that it attracts an enormous amount of Beaver, so if you're in the hunt for pelt and have a Solar Yellow you've got it made.
Sorry about the blank above...I am a new owner and new to the forum! My question was....since I am a "beaver" and now have a Solar Yellow...what do I get?

#99349 - 19/09/02 10:19 AM Re: Anyone gone head to head with Jeep?
calypso Offline

Loc: Live: Iowa, Heart: Colorado
Quote:
Sorry about the blank above...I am a new owner and new to the forum! My question was....since I am a "beaver" and now have a Solar Yellow...what do I get?
Yeah, being a "beaver" myself I was wondering the same thing. . . . Maybe some wood for my dam? :rolleyes:

Solar Yellow Chicks unite!
Symantha

#99350 - 19/09/02 04:28 PM Re: Anyone gone head to head with Jeep?
Vachon Offline

Loc: Vancouver, BC
Quote:
Originally posted by willow:
My question was....since I am a "beaver" and now have a Solar Yellow...what do I get?
You should be careful around this board. One of these guys is liable to answer you...

"Never drink water, fish f**k in it." (W.C. Fields)

#99351 - 19/09/02 08:01 PM Re: Anyone gone head to head with Jeep?
spillboy Offline

Loc: Charleston, SC
Granted, my '92 Laredo kept me from bashing my head when I hydroplaned & went 65 (in reverse) down a freeway shoulder in heavy rain & I hit 2 pine trees & was still able to step out in 8 inches of water & climb up the hill for a trooper to give me a ticket for 'Too Fast For Conditions', but their Cherokees put the stupid gas tank just behind the REAR bumper! Think about all those rear-end accidents everytime you clean your X's REAR or FRONT skid plates. Also, the electrical nervous system was placed by an engineeringly challenged moron along the left-rear corner; thus creating a frying pan for my dash which took a few weeks for the braniacs in Atlanta to figure out. The power 'everything' had its own agenda. Since I've had my X for a year now, I've realized that Nissan can break as many of their cars as they want to for sales, because they have more of a budget than we do. These aren't the street-legal dune buggies or life-sized kiddie monster trucks they'd like us to think they are. They were obviously designed (stock) for impressing your girlfriend or whomever, and a couple of bandaids if you need 'em. Where were the rubbers?

#99352 - 19/09/02 09:46 PM Re: Anyone gone head to head with Jeep?
Costas Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by willow:
Quote:
[b]Best attribute of the Xterra is that it attracts an enormous amount of Beaver, so if you're in the hunt for pelt and have a Solar Yellow you've got it made.
Sorry about the blank above...I am a new owner and new to the forum! My question was....since I am a "beaver" and now have a Solar Yellow...what do I get?[/b]
oh, if I wasn't such a gentleman....
wink

#99353 - 20/09/02 07:11 AM Re: Anyone gone head to head with Jeep?
willow Offline

oh, if I wasn't such a gentleman....
wink

Why the need to be a gentleman? Do tell..... :rolleyes:

#99354 - 20/09/02 07:21 AM Re: Anyone gone head to head with Jeep?
mikeh Offline

Loc: Austin
I out perform Jeeps all the time. I always pass them and look through my rear view mirror and say see ya!!.
wink

#99355 - 20/09/02 11:03 PM Re: Anyone gone head to head with Jeep?
Costas Offline

Quote:

Why the need to be a gentleman? Do tell..... :rolleyes: [/QB]
Because it effectively pisses off the man-hating, feminist carpet-munchers - er, I mean - because it's the right thing to do. That's probably a topic for another forum
laugh

Anyway, a buddy has a Jeep TJ w/8" lift(can't remember the make) and 35" BFG muds. He's been dying to kick my ass in the bush, but I don't think he wnats to rock crawl. Would a lift help my X?

#99356 - 21/09/02 12:54 AM Re: Anyone gone head to head with Jeep?
superjens Offline

Loc: North Vancouver
Quote:
a buddy has a Jeep TJ w/8" lift(can't remember the make) and 35" BFG muds. He's been dying to kick my ass in the bush, but I don't think he wnats to rock crawl. Would a lift help my X?
The only thing that would help your X against a TJ like that is if you sold it.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Ramness 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal