ECXC 2024!
by Tom
20/06/24 09:07 AM
Problem posting?
by Tom
11/06/24 10:33 AM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 339 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#670533 - 15/03/07 12:16 PM Re: Official 2006-07 College Basketball Season Thread
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by porsche996:
Quote:
Originally posted by pnwbeers:
[b]
Quote:
Originally posted by Katonk:
[b]I just want to know how Stanford got selected. 18-12 (10-8) and the only road win they had of any consequence was at Virginia. They got crushed by Air Force and Santa Clara at home early in the season and weren't exactly eating it up at the end of the season either - finished 3-5 in their last 8.

Seemed like everyone at CBS and ESPN was questioning Arkansas and Illinois and Texas Tech, but I didn't see anyone wondering about Stanford's bid.
They're in the Pac 10. Lots of RPI love, and a great conference this year.

Mystery solved.[/b]
Great conference this year??

Right...

Looks like Louisville is taking care of the blight that allowed Stanford into the Tourney...
[/b]
Stanford was 18-12, had lost 4 of 5, finshed in the bottom half of the conference, and barely squeaked in as an 11 seed - what did you expect them to do against Louisville? [Freak]

Enjoy it while you can - A&M will be tough.

#670534 - 15/03/07 01:17 PM Re: Official 2006-07 College Basketball Season Thread
Anonymous
Unregistered

You're confusing me...

In one post you're saying Stanford should be in the tourney 'cause they had a high RPI and the PAC-10 was a "great conference" this year...

In the next post you're dissing Stanford w/ their pitiful record...

Make up your mind. Are they or are they not a good team?

I think Louisville already answered that question. They [Stanford] are NOT a good team. And no, I DON'T think they [Stanford] derserved to be in the tournament. If LOUISVILLE blows you out this year, then you flat out suck.

UofL is not a great Basketball team this year, by anyone's definition.

But they're 20 points better than Stanford...

#670535 - 15/03/07 01:34 PM Re: Official 2006-07 College Basketball Season Thread
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
You're confusing me...
That's proven quite easy to do time and again.

The first issue was why is Stanford in the tourney. My answer, and the reason they were put in the tourney, was that Pac 10 has been the #1 RPI conference and considered to be one of the best conferences in the country all season long. Thus, a bubble team like Stanford gets the nod over certain other bubble teams - none of which were particularly "good," mind you. Better than Stanford? Maybe - that's something we'll never know. But the reason Stanford got in over them in the first instance is obvious.

The second issue raised was whether you can conclude that the Pac 10 is a poor conference based on Louisville beating Stanford. For some reason you seem to be of the opinion that Stanford's loss means the Pac 10 is a bad conference. My retort simply pointed out some of Stanford's weaknesses - ie, bad record, bottom half conference finish, loosing streak, and bubble team to begin with. Basically what you saw today was a higher seeded and top-20 ranked team that finished 3rd in the Big East beating a lower seeded and unranked team that finished in the bottom half of the Pac 10. From that you can conclude that the Pac 10 is a bad conference? [Freak]

Maybe it will prove to be not as good as the RPI would indicate (depending on how the tourney goes), but you sure as hell can't conclude that from Louisville beating the trees.

You can pull your head out now. [Wave]

#670536 - 15/03/07 01:58 PM Re: Official 2006-07 College Basketball Season Thread
NismoXse02 Offline

Loc: The Woodlands, TX
Quote:
Anybody else's team pull a total of three pictures on the cover? Not to mention the front and center player.

I can only assume this spells doom for us... [Uh Oh !]
Tech has 3 on the cover. You saw how that went for us. I guess all I can say is... good luck with that one! [Freak]

#670537 - 15/03/07 10:02 PM Re: Official 2006-07 College Basketball Season Thread
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
The second issue raised was whether you can conclude that the Pac 10 is a poor conference based on Louisville beating Stanford. For some reason you seem to be of the opinion that Stanford's loss means the Pac 10 is a bad conference. My retort simply pointed out some of Stanford's weaknesses - ie, bad record, bottom half conference finish, loosing streak, and bubble team to begin with. Basically what you saw today was a higher seeded and top-20 ranked team that finished 3rd in the Big East beating a lower seeded and unranked team that finished in the bottom half of the Pac 10. From that you can conclude that the Pac 10 is a bad conference? [Freak]

Maybe it will prove to be not as good as the RPI would indicate (depending on how the tourney goes), but you sure as hell can't conclude that from Louisville beating the trees.

You can pull your head out now. [Wave]
I guess you missed the part where I said UofL is NOT a good basketball team this year... Other than the past 8 games, we have played like we weren't even good enough for the NIT. Granted, they're "ranked," but it's not a legit ranking as frankly, they are a very, very poor team. Did I mention UofL lost to UMASS, and almost lost to NAIA "powerhouse" Georgetown College...? Geez...

And Stanford got beat by a very, very poor team.

You're like a Notre Dame fan, except it's the PAC-10 you're blowing all the time. I don't know where you're getting your conference rankings from, but the PAC-10 wasn't the #1 conference in any rankings I've seen.

Sagarin: #3
RPI: #3

So again, how did a poor team like Stanford, with an 18-12 ranking in ONLY the #3 conference in the country get into the NCAA's at all? They had no business being there when there were better teams from other conferences that were more deserving.

#670538 - 16/03/07 01:01 PM Re: Official 2006-07 College Basketball Season Thread
NismoXse02 Offline

Damn, I really thought ND would be better than that. frown

#670539 - 16/03/07 01:22 PM Re: Official 2006-07 College Basketball Season Thread
NismoXse02 Offline

Nothing like a good ol' fashion 22-3 run to get you back in the game. [Freak]

Nevermind, they still lost. Damnit, that hurts my bracket along with not having anyone to root for in the tournament. frown

#670540 - 16/03/07 03:22 PM Re: Official 2006-07 College Basketball Season Thread
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
RPI: #3
That surprises me. I know earlier in the season it was #1. In any event, the reasons I gave for the trees getting in are still accurate. If you need a recap, feel free to go back and read it.

Glad to see ND lose. I actually had that in my bracket. Hope Oregon can pull out (too close in the second half as I type this). If I were a Miami fan I think I'd have gouged my eyes out by mid-season. This lock-down snails pace kind of game allows teams with inferior talent to keep it close, but it sure is ugly to watch.

#670541 - 16/03/07 08:07 PM Re: Official 2006-07 College Basketball Season Thread
mineralblue Offline

Loc: Downtown Houston, TX
What are the odds that my hometown school (UL) plays my graduate school (A&M) on the court of my undergraduate school? (UK)???

Apparently pretty good because it's happening tomorrow!

I'm definitely looking forward to the UofL - A&M game...

#670542 - 17/03/07 10:54 PM Re: Official 2006-07 College Basketball Season Thread
Origami Gangsta Offline

Loc: Dammit! Even CLOSER to Smith a...
Dammit, the Turtles are out. I had them losing to Ohio State in the Sweet 16..

Go Hoyas!

#670543 - 18/03/07 10:24 AM Re: Official 2006-07 College Basketball Season Thread
mineralblue Offline

Loc: Downtown Houston, TX
What a game between the Cards and the Aggies!

Tough way for the Cards to lose, but I thought that 3 pointer by Sosa was gonna drop in and A&M was gonna go home just like last year against LSU...

Gig 'em Aggies!

#670544 - 18/03/07 10:56 AM Re: Official 2006-07 College Basketball Season Thread
NismoXse02 Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by mineralblue:
...and A&M was gonna go home...
They are. wink

Look where they are playing their next games.

#670545 - 21/03/07 08:25 AM Re: Official 2006-07 College Basketball Season Thread
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Great conference this year??

Right...
Not to pile on, but:

Quote:
30% of PAC10 Teams are in the Sweet 16 (A few tough breaks for WSU kept it from being 40%.)
25% of SEC (also has 3 in)
12.5% of Big East
16.6% of Big 12
8.33% of ACC
9.09% of Big10
All three could get dropped in the next round, but even if that happens getting a third of the conference into the sweet 16 is not the mark of a lousy conference.

Now for Oregon, onto UNLV. I haven't watched them a lot this year, but they seem to play a style similar to ours - lots of speed, lots of shooters, lots of guards. I thought that style could matchup well against Wisconsin, and that seems to have been proven by the Rebels. It should be a fun game to watch, however it turns out.

It's pretty sweet to be one of 16 teams still alive.

#670546 - 21/03/07 09:58 AM Re: Official 2006-07 College Basketball Season Thread
Anonymous
Unregistered

Go ahead and pile it on. I can take it.

Will you be able to take it when they lose in this round? It's going to be an awfully hard game for USC and UCLA to win this time out.

#670547 - 21/03/07 10:09 AM Re: Official 2006-07 College Basketball Season Thread
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Will you be able to take it when they lose in this round?
I'm thinking yes, since I just said:

Quote:
All three could get dropped in the next round, but even if that happens getting a third of the conference into the sweet 16 is not the mark of a lousy conference.
USC probably will lose, UCLA is a tossup, and Oregon has a tough game against the team that just dropped Wisconsin. But even if all three do lose I don't think that means the conference sucks, it just means the other team happened to be better on that day. My point is simply that the conference has mostly lived up to the hype at this point - solid and deep, but no real powerhouse team (see lack of 1 seeds).

#670548 - 22/03/07 09:20 PM Re: Official 2006-07 College Basketball Season Thread
koalakilla Offline

Loc: Woodlands, TX
Damn, this game was such a blowout at the half. Tied with 2:40 left, Ohio needs to take charge
SWXC Member #74

#670549 - 23/03/07 09:02 AM Re: Official 2006-07 College Basketball Season Thread
NismoXse02 Offline

Poooooooorrrrr Aggies. Oh well, their dream season ends by going as far as my Red Raiders have gone a couple times because their All-American can't make a layup. laugh

#670550 - 23/03/07 09:18 AM Re: Official 2006-07 College Basketball Season Thread
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by NismoXse02:
Poooooooorrrrr Aggies. Oh well, their dream season ends by going as far as my Red Raiders have gone a couple times because their All-American can't make a layup. laugh
That was a good game, and I was really pulling for A&M. I've watched a number of their games this year and found myself liking their game.

SIU and Tenn almost pulled the upsets. Hopefully I'll be able to stay awake for the next UCLA game - good god they play a boring style. Couple them with Pit and you've got a snoozer.

For Today: Go Ducks, Go Butler, Go Hoyas, and Go Dick Wraps.

#670551 - 23/03/07 09:25 AM Re: Official 2006-07 College Basketball Season Thread
NismoXse02 Offline

I forgot to add that let the Billy Gillespie to Kentucky rumors start to fly. On one hand, that would suck for the Big XII to lose a good coach. On the other hand, it would send the Aggies back to being the doormat of the Big XII which is fine with me. laugh

#670552 - 23/03/07 09:27 AM Re: Official 2006-07 College Basketball Season Thread
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by NismoXse02:
On the other hand, it would send the Aggies back to being the doormat of the Big XII which is fine with me. laugh
Lookin' for company? [Finger]

#670553 - 23/03/07 09:49 AM Re: Official 2006-07 College Basketball Season Thread
NismoXse02 Offline

I didn't go to Baylor. [Wave]

#670554 - 23/03/07 09:27 PM Re: Official 2006-07 College Basketball Season Thread
Anonymous
Unregistered

WO-HOO

Elite 8 Baby!

Wish us luck against Florida. [Uh Oh !]

PS - Vandy got screwed.

#670555 - 24/03/07 09:34 AM Re: Official 2006-07 College Basketball Season Thread
NismoXse02 Offline

Congrats, man. It's one game so anything can happen. I had Florida losing to Wisconsin anyway because I knew that they can be beat. I'd like to cheer for ya'll, but an Oregon loss all but seals the deal for me in our brackets. laugh

#670556 - 25/03/07 02:37 PM Re: Official 2006-07 College Basketball Season Thread
Anonymous
Unregistered

Well, the shots just weren't dropping for us today, and Florida hit a lot of crazy-long 3's. Oh well - we had a great run. Brooks will be a huge loss next year, but everybody else is back so I expect we'll be dancing again. This was a great group of kids to watch all season - huge props to every one of them. [ThumbsUp] [ThumbsUp]

I do really like UCLA's chances against Florida. Hope they win - I don't want to see that super-fugly gator kid (noah) win again.

Lastly,

[Smoking]

#670557 - 25/03/07 06:11 PM Re: Official 2006-07 College Basketball Season Thread
koalakilla Offline

Loc: Woodlands, TX
Awesome, I love getting off work and finding out how well my bracket is doing!
SWXC Member #74

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal